Tuesday, March 3, 2009

DANCING WITH THE DAFFODILS


"Spring has sprung, the grass has riz. I wonder where the flowers is?" Well, as my lovely wife Jasmin pointed out, they are growing right outside my office window. Sure 'nuff, there them pretty little yellow boogers were.....6, count 'em- 6 little yellow daffodils (botanical name, Narcissus), brought up from their bulbs and out of the earth by the unseasonably warm weather we had all during February. Month long the temperatures stayed in the upper 60's and up to the mid 70's. Fahrenheit degrees, of course; in Celsius/Centigrade that would be about 18 to 25 degrees.


In the song 'April Showers' the inimitable Al Jolson sang, "When you see clouds upon the hills, you soon will see crowds of daffodils." (Check it out on YouTube)

Well, Al was off a month, but of course he didn't live in Valencia County, New Mexico

.

As I said earlier, the daffodils are small, only about 4 inches (10.16 cm) tall. The picture would have been better if I could have gotten down lower, but my ancient knees would not have allowed that unless I wanted to lay in the yard for a few hours til Jasmin came home and helped me up. So I will enjoy their beauty standing, and (as Wordsworth penned) "Then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils."

-30-


1 comment:

Curly said...

Thanks for your recent comments at South Shields Daily Photo Richard, they are much appreciated. I notice that some of our spring bulbs are starting to flower too, although a little snow is expected this week.