Thursday, April 9, 2009

A CRACKER JACK OF A SUBJECT


WOW! I was totally shocked to see a shelf full of Cracker Jacks at my local Wal-Mart the other night. I had thought that they had long been discontinued - well, maybe they had been and were just coming back on the market, or perhaps I was so blind that I just didn't see them. I know that since I am older than the dirt that I walk on there is a lot of things I don't see. But how could I not see Cracker Jacks? Since I was a little boy back in the 1939's or -40's, I have loved Cracker Jacks. Saturday afternoon matinees at the theater were always a good place to eat them while my brothers and I watched the antics of Our Gang and the heroics of Gene Autry, and the latest Boston Blackie serial. Cracker Jacks always came with a toy inside. It was usually a toy metal car or gun, or a tattoo transfer that you could put on your arm. Sadly, the ones I bought yesterday all had little paper historical puzzles designed for 8 or 10 year old kids.That's OK. Being that I am in my second childhood, I enjoyed the Cracker Jacks anyway. After all these years they still taste as I remember them..........so the next time I go to the movies, guess what I am taking with me (besides my wife)?

No comments: